Monday, November 30, 2009

Strong Password (how to create and use them)




A strong password is a password that contains characters and symbols that are more difficult for a hacker to guess. Strong passwords should be used especially for online banking, email, eBay, or any website that requires you to fill out personal information.

The easiest way to create a strong password is to come up with a sentence that you will always remember, preferably eight or more words long. Then take the first letter of each word to make a string. With this string replace lower case letters with upper case letters. Replace letters with symbol look-a-likes. Test your new password with a password checker and if it is strong then write down your password and keep it a secret. An example would be: I sold my car five years ago and I was sad. That sentence would turn into: ismcfyaaiws. That string then can turn into I$mc5YaaIw$. The original string was made stronger by adding upper cases and symbols. It checks out to be a strong password.

I found my information here at http://www.microsoft.com/protect/fraud/passwords/create.aspx

No comments:

Post a Comment